Saturday, July 23, 2005

Airlink AR315W router sucks



I spent around 2-3 hours trying to install this Airlink AR315W router, but couldnt get it to connect with my Verizon DSL. Googling or Yoddling (searching on Yahoo) didnt help much either. All the links that came back, are from link farms which are filled with Google ads. No luck :(

I tried both, PPPoE as well as Direct connect options, but they always came back with "No connection". In my older Netgear router, I didnt have to enter a username/password for the PPPoE connectivity. But the Airlink router asks me for a username/password. So I had to dig up my records to find it. Anyways to cut a long story short, even with the username/password, it didnt connect.

I tried calling their support. After the phone rang 15 times, I got the voice mail with a message stating "All our representatives are busy dealing with other customers, please leave your name, brief message and number. We will get back to you". I havent heard from them since morning. The airlink folks dont even have any support forums or message boards. Even the manual didnt contain any elaborate troubleshooting steps. Goddamn.

Lesson #1: Always buy stuff from reputed brands. Never ever fall for cheap stuff.

Comments:
I just got mine in the mail. I'm posting this over the air. It wasn't too bad to setup. 16.99 at frys. I wouldn't pay much more than that. I got it to hack Linux into the thing. Good Luck.
cya
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright Anand Jain 2004, 2005. All rights reserved.
Webmaster